Over time and, above all, at a certain age, the body begins to undergo some changes and they become evident to let us know that we are undergoing a transformation from youth to mature age.
Obviously, this brings with it the appearance of some wrinkles on the face, the skin tends to look less smooth, with some imperfections and thinner.
Currently, there are many beauty routines that are recommended to reduce the traces of the passing of the years and, although there are some that are somewhat invasive because they consist of surgeries, one that is on the rise and is all the rage throughout the world. world is related to hyaluronic acid .
What is hyaluronic acid?
It is one of the most well-known and sought-after anti-aging assets for beauty routines , since it has the ability to attract and retain water molecules. In this way, the skin functions properly as well as other tissues.
Although the organism generates it naturally, in most cases, around 25 years of age as an approximate age, its production decreases. As a result of this, the skin no longer has the same capacity to retain water and that is why dryness and expression lines appear.
Is hyaluronic acid really effective?
If you often ask yourself this question, the answer is yes. Well, hyaluronic acid deeply hydrates the skin, repairs it and fights against signs of aging.
As time passes, the production of hyaluronic acid decreases and, as a consequence, brings with it a lack of hydration, elasticity and firmness. For this reason, applying it can prevent these signs and increase the regenerative capacity of the skin.
Although most people choose hyaluronic acid as a topical to apply to the skin, there are some not so popular uses that consist of applying it to the nails to achieve healthy nail growth and prevent breakage. In addition, it has many benefits for hair because it can regenerate certain types of damage by providing hydration and strength.
Possible side effects
Although any beauty treatment can have its side effects, with this product they are very rare.
Since hyaluronic acid is found in the body naturally, it is unlikely that the application of it will result in any unwanted effects, regardless of whether the treatment is carried out through injections, oral capsules or is applied through creams or lotions.
In any case, it is important to consider that the use of hyaluronic acid is not recommended for those who suffer from severe allergies, who are pregnant or lactating, and it is not recommended to apply it to areas where the skin is hurt, irritated or with some kind of inflammation.
Some of the side effects that can be experienced with this beauty routine are the following:
- Allergic reaction that results in some type of irritation or redness.
- High degree of sensitivity, swelling or pain in the area applied.
- Bruising after injections.
Hyaluronic acid myths and natural production in the body
Like many products that are used in beauty , cosmetic or dermo-cosmetic treatments , there are some myths in relation to this natural asset, such as those mentioned below and that have been demolished by professionals in the field;
- It is an artificial product.
- It cannot be used in conjunction with other treatments.
- It cannot be applied on the forehead.
- The effects are permanent.
- They produce the loss of expression of the face.
- It is not recommended for older adults.
Hyaluronic acid is present in the body, that is, in the skin, joints and cartilage and, depending on the area where it is located, it has different functions.
Although beauty treatments generally aim to slow down aging or expression lines on the skin of the face, in joints it cooperates so that there is no friction that can cause pain and in cartilage it has a reconstructive function.
– Hyaluronic acid for joints and cartilage
In this case, this substance has regenerative functions and to reduce friction between the cartilages, it is used to reduce the symptoms of pain in the knees or other joints that derive from conditions such as osteoarthritis and also in treatments after some type of surgery, it can be used in injections to reduce shoulder, hip or wrist pain, among others, as it helps cushion movement by lubricating the mentioned areas.
– Hyaluronic acid in the skin
Among the properties of hyaluronic acid in the skin, are the following:
- Improves the lipid barrier
- smooths the skin
- Reduces expression lines and wrinkles
- Weaken the appearance of scars
- Makes the skin look younger and brighter
- Influences pigmentation.
Can it be used on any type of skin?
No matter what type of skin you have, beauty routines with this product can be done without worries of this type, since all skins need adequate hydration.
One of the advantages of using hyaluronic acid is that you can use it in conjunction with other active products such as glycolic acid, for example, which is used to exfoliate the skin.
Just as it can be used on any type of skin, this product is not limited to a specific moment for its application, that is, you can apply it at the moment that is most comfortable for you and, for this reason, this depends on the type of skin. hyaluronic acid that you have chosen (ampoules, in day or night creams or supplements, among others).
This substance does not react with the sun, so you should not worry about this detail either. You can use it before having prolonged contact with sunlight and, in fact, you can use it with a specific protector for this.
Some products with hyaluronic acid
Currently, hyaluronic acid can be found in injections for aesthetic medicine treatments, food supplements or in different cosmetic items such as ampoules, serums or creams.
- Supplements: different supplements can be purchased on the market whose main function is to produce collagen, which is essential for the structure of the skin. If collagen is reduced, the appearance of expression lines becomes more evident and, for this reason, the action of hyaluronic acid preserves collagen synthesis, retaining moisture and fighting skin aging.
- Injections: they are applied as an aesthetic treatment always by a professional. It is a highly efficient method if they are placed at the key points and every certain period of time depending on the needs of each person.
- Cosmetics: hyaluronic acid in creams or serums is currently the most popular method, as it helps prevent the appearance of the symptoms mentioned above. In this way, it penetrates the upper layers of the skin and improves, repairs and protects it.
If you are thinking of preventing or reducing the effects of the passage of time on the skin, hyaluronic acid is currently one of the most recommended options because it is a non-invasive practice and generally does not produce side effects that can harm health.